Some facts about cancer pain:
• 10 lakh new cancer patients are diagnosed every year in India.
• 60% are diagnosed in advanced stage, so require only pain management and palliative care.
• 30%-50% have pain at the time of diagnosis.
• 70% to 90% have severe pain when the disease is advanced.
• 40% die with severe pain.
• 60%-80%complains of inadequate pain relief by their physician.
• 30% are not relieved by drug treatment alone, so require interventional pain management.
• More than 90% cancer pain can be adequately controlled.
From the above statistics it is seen that cancer pain is inevitable at some stage of the disease, but at the same time 90% of the cancer pain are curable by some means or other.